Apparently the cool thing to do in my apartment is take a beer bottle cap and pop it into my pretty potpourri in a vase in the kitchen. Now there’s this awkward metal layer on top of my attempt of domestic goodiness, so I figured I might as well see if there’s another use for these cramping-my-style bottle caps.
- Maybe Miller (or another read: better beer) will pull through with another promotion like the 2008 summer bottle cap drive. Every Miller Lite bottle cap mailed in during its “Better. Bolder. Summer.” promotion turned into a ten-cent donation for MDA. A summer’s worth of beer caps could be a small fortune, but Miller donated its max amount of $100,000.
- One of my favorite skin & hair care lines (AVEDA) acknowledged the number of plastic caps filling landfills, in turn creating an ongoing nationwide bottle cap drive with schools. Rumor has it you can donate at any retail location as well.
- Drop off your caps (yogurt & hummus, too!) at Whole Foods before restocking your place. In partnership with Preserve (which is underwrote by some eco-smart companies like Brita, Stonyfield Yogurt, Seventh Generation and Tom’s of Maine),thee recycled plastic is turned into goods for your home, kitchen and personal needs (shop away!)
- According to every major retailer, it’s never too early to start thinking about the holiday season. It’s always too early for me, but if it’s your cup of tea, fulfill your Christmas spirit by making these bottle cap Christmas tree decorations. I think they’re tacky, but that goes for most of December in my book…
- Make your fridge wear its heart (errr… insides) in its sleeve by making up some bottle cap magnets.
- Give your jewelry family a more eclectic cousin with these bottle cap pendants.
- If you won the mock elections for “most patient” and “most artistic”, well do I have the project for you. The extravagant bottle cap art in this WebUrbanist piece will blow your flipping mind. We’re talking full-on recreating of Starry Night using the cap to your last drink.
- Apparently some artists are already taking to the streets with their bottle cap art. Find something you fancy via Nanchez Bottle Cap Art (and they’ll take your mailed in caps too!)